World's Best Cornbread Stuffing
Servings 10 servings
- 2 hot Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup onion chopped
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1/2 leaves sage fresh, chopped
- 4 large corn muffins
- 3 large egg
- 1/2 cup chicken stock plus more if needed
- cooking spray
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the casings from the sausages. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and add the sausage meat. Cook, breaking up the meat into small pieces, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined plate and set aside to cool while you cook the vegetables. Wipe out any excess fat from the pan with paper towels.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, celery, and onion. Season with salt and pepper and add the sage. Cook until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool a bit.
- Crumble the corn muffins into a large bowl. Put in the cooled sausage and vegetables. Add the eggs and 1/4 cup chicken stock. Using your hands, mix well adding more stock if the stuffing is too dry. Spray a 2-quart oven-proof baking dish with cooking spray. Put the stuffing into the dish and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the top is browned and crispy.
Calories: 316kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 100mg | Sodium: 583mg | Potassium: 241mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 4300IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 2.2mg