Weight Watchers Chicken-Fried Steak
Servings 4 servings
- 12 oz uncooked lean beef round
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt divided
- 1/4 tsp black pepper divided
- 1 1/4 cup skim milk divided
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup dried plain breadcrumbs coarse-variety
- 2 slices lean bacon
- 1 spray cooking spray
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce optional
- Place steak between 2 sheets of waxed paper and pound to 1/2-inch thickness; slice steak into 4 equal pieces.
- Combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper on a plate. Combine 1/4 cup of milk and egg white in a shallow bowl. Place bread crumbs on another plate.
- Dip a piece of steak in flour mixture; turn to coat both sides. Next, dip steak in milk mixture; turn to coat both sides. Lastly, dip steak in bread crumbs; turn to coat both sides and set aside. Repeat with remaining pieces of steak; reserve 1 tablespoon of leftover flour.
- In a large nonstick skillet, over medium heat, brown bacon, flipping once, about 5 minutes; remove from skillet and set aside. Add steaks to same skillet and place over medium-high heat. Cook about 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium, or longer to desired degree of doneness. Remove steaks and set aside.
- Off heat, coat skillet with cooking spray and set over medium heat. When hot, add onion; cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Add reserved tablespoon of flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Pour in remaining cup of milk, scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Reduce heat to medium-low; add remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/8 teaspoon of pepper and hot sauce. Crumble bacon; stir into skillet. Increase heat to medium and cook until gravy is thickened, stirring constantly, about 1 to 3 minutes. Spoon gravy over steaks and serve immediately. Yields about 3 ounces of steak and 1/4 cup of gravy per serving.
Calories: 422kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.3g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 1253mg | Potassium: 144mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin C: 2.5mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 5.2mg