When Elijah was little, he had a dairy sensitivity. We had to use Almond or Soy milk as a substitute in almost every recipe. We used this chocolate cake recipe many times, and it was incredibly simple and good at the same time.
Vegan Chocolate Cake
Servings 8 servings
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup water warm
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp margarine
- 2 tbsp soy milk
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In an 8X8 square pan/dish, mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt with a fork, making sure it is really blended together.
- Add the water, vanilla, oil, and vinegar, and again, mix together so that it's really blended together. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides if necessary.
- Place in oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack completely (2 hours).
- For the glaze, in a small saucepan, bring sugar, margarine, milk, and cocoa to a boil. Stir frequently; then reduce heat to a simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. It'll look gloppy, but it's just the bubbles! Remove from heat and stir for another 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla, stir, and immediately pour onto cake. Glaze dries really quickly, so spread it immediately and add any sprinkles now. Let this cool for an 1 hour, if you can wait that long!
Calories: 418kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 338mg | Potassium: 230mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 38g | Vitamin A: 250IU | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 2.9mg