PW's Mac and Cheese
Servings 10 servings
- 4 cups macaroni
- 1 egg Beaten
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard More If Desired, heaping
- 1 pound cheese Grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt More To Taste
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt More To Taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional Spices Cayenne Pepper, Paprika, Thyme
- Cook macaroni until very firm. Macaroni should be too firm to eat right out of the pot. Drain.
- In a small bowl, beat egg.
- In a large pot, melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook mixture for five minutes, whisking constantly. Don’t let it burn.
- Pour in milk, add mustard, and whisk until smooth. Cook for five minutes until very thick. Reduce heat to low.
- Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly pour it into beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking eggs. Whisk together till smooth.
- Pour egg mixture into sauce, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth.
- Add in cheese and stir to melt.
- Add salt and pepper. Taste sauce and add more salt and seasoned salt as needed! DO NOT UNDERSALT.
- Pour in drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine. Serve immediately (very creamy) or pour into a buttered baking dish, top with extra cheese, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.
Calories: 431kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 87mg | Sodium: 702mg | Potassium: 173mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 650IU | Calcium: 390mg | Iron: 1.8mg