Kung Pao Chicken
Servings 4 servings
KUNG PAO CHICKEN
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil or peanut oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper cored and diced
- 1 green bell pepper cored and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 4 dried red Chinese or arbol chili peppers seeds removed and finely chopped*
- 1 batch Kung Pao Marinade see below
- green onions thinly-sliced, for garnish
- toasted sesame seeds for garnish
KUNG PAO MARINADE
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok or large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken breast pieces and saute for 5 minutes, flipping occasionally, or until the chicken is completely cooked through and no longer pink inside. Transfer cooked chicken to a separate plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan. Then stir in the red and green bell peppers, garlic, peanuts and chopped red chili peppers. Saute for 3-4 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant and the peppers are slightly softened, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the Kung Pao Marinade, and then let the mixture simmer until the marinade has thickened (about 1 minute).
- Add the cooked chicken back in and toss to combine. Remove from heat.
- Serve immediately with rice or quinoa, topped with garnishes if desired.
Calories: 449kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 9g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 76mg | Sodium: 1009mg | Potassium: 414mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 2450IU | Vitamin C: 207.1mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 2.3mg