Grandmother Paul’s Fried Chicken
Grandmother Paul's Fried Chicken
Servings 4 servings
- salt and pepper for seasoning chicken
- shortening for frying
- 3 egg
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 chicken cut into pieces, 2 1/2 pound
- Heat shortening in a cast iron skillet to 350 degrees F.
- Beat eggs with water in a small bowl.
- In a shallow bowl, season flour with pepper.
- Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture and then coat well in flour mixture.
- Carefully add to hot shortening, in batches if necessary, place lid on top of skillet, and fry until brown and crisp. Remember that dark meat requires a longer cooking time (about 13 to 14 minutes, compared to 8 to 10 minutes for white meat.)
Calories: 1172kcal | Carbohydrates: 86g | Protein: 90g | Fat: 47g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 11g | Monounsaturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 399mg | Sodium: 2764mg | Potassium: 675mg | Fiber: 0.3g | Sugar: 0.3g | Vitamin A: 600IU | Vitamin C: 0.3mg | Calcium: 390mg | Iron: 8.3mg