Servings 24 rolls
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 9 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages Active Dry Yeast 4 1/2 Tsp.
- 1 teaspoon baking powder heaping
- 1 teaspoon baking soda scant
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- Pour 4 cups of milk into a stock pot or Dutch oven. Add one cup of sugar and 1 cup of vegetable oil. Stir to combine. Now, turn the burner on medium to medium-low and “scald” the mixture (bring it to just before a boil.) Cool to lukewarm (between 90 and 110 degrees).
- Before the mixture boils, turn off the heat. NOW. Very important stuff here: walk away. Walk away and allow this mixture to cool to warm/lukewarm. The mixture will need to be warm enough to be a hospitable environment for the yeast, but not so hot that it kills the yeast and makes it inactive. I don’t usually use a thermometer, but if you’d like to, a good temperature is between 90 and 110 degrees. I usually feel the side of the pan with the palm of my hand. If it’s hot at all, I wait another 20 minutes or so. The pan should feel comfortably warm.
- When the mixture is the right temperature add in 4 cups of flour and 2 packages of (4-1/2 teaspoons) of active dry yeast. After the yeast and flour are nicely incorporated, add another 4 cups of flour. Stir together and allow to sit, covered with a tea towel or lid, for an hour. After about an hour it should have almost doubled in size. If it hasn’t changed much, put it in a warm (but turned off ) oven for 45 minutes or so. When it had risen sufficiently add 1 more cup of flour, 1 heaping teaspoon of baking powder, 1 scant teaspoon of baking soda and about 2 tablespoons of salt. Stir (or knead just a bit) until combined.
- Butter 1 or 2 muffin pans. Form the rolls by pinching off a walnut sized piece of dough and rolling it into a little ball. Repeat and tuck three balls of dough into each buttered muffin cup. Continue until pan is full. Cover and allow to rise for about 1 to 2 hours.
- Bake in a 400-degree oven until golden brown, about 17 to 20 minutes.
Calories: 304kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 551mg | Potassium: 111mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 100IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 2.2mg