Bronco Riders Chili
Servings 4 bowls
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 cup water
- 1 small bay leaf
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt this is half of what the original recipe calls for
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano crumbled
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsps cornmeal
- Sear beef in hot oil until the meat is gray, but is not browned.
- Add water, bay leaf, chili powder, salt, garlic, cumin, oregano, cayenne, sugar and paprika.
- Simmer, covered at least 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove fat from the top and reheat.
- Make a paste of the flour, cornmal and a little water.
- Add to reheated chili and stir until smooth.
- Cook at least 7 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
Must be made ahead Texas Wildflowers cookbook, page 184
Calories: 253kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 621mg | Potassium: 174mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2400IU | Vitamin C: 7.4mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 2.9mg