Servings 8 slices
- 12.5 oz all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2.5 sticks unsalted butter cut into 1" chunks and chilled
- 6-8 tbsp water ice cold
- 2 lbs baking apples (granny smith, cortland, fuji)
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg fresh
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white beaten
- 1 tbsp sugar for sprinkling
- In a food processor, pulse to combine flour, sugar, and salt. Evenly spread butter chunks over top, and pulse until butter is the size of peas. Pour into a large mixing bowl, and gently fold with a rubber spatula while sprinkling ice water over top. Start with 6 tablespoons, and add more as necessary, until a shaggy dough forms. Pat out into a large, 2" thick disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 30 minutes before removing the dough from the fridge, peel and slice apples. Combine sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and 2 tbsp flour, and mix into apples, coating evenly. Let sit 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500F with a half-sheet inside. Remove dough disc from fridge and divide into two pieces. Pound it down to 1/2" thick with a rolling pin, dusting liberally with flour as necessary, before rolling out into two 16" and 20" rounds. Lay the wider round into a greased pie dish, pressing down into the corners so the dough lays flush with the dish. Pour apple mixture into the pie dish, cut the smaller round into 1" strips, and lattice over top of the apples. Brush with egg whites and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place assembled pie onto preheated half sheet, and reduce oven temperature to 400F. Bake for 25 minutes, or until browned - rotate the pie, reduce oven to 350F, and continue baking for 20-30 minutes, or until deeply browned. Wrap crust edges in aluminum foil if they brown too quickly. Let rest at least 4 hours, or overnight.
Calories: 570kcal | Carbohydrates: 76g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 76mg | Sodium: 258mg | Potassium: 206mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 36g | Vitamin A: 900IU | Vitamin C: 7.4mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 2mg